WordPress has become *the* content management system of choice around the world, powering a large proportion of popular websites. It’s free, open source, easy to use and great to develop for. As such, it’s an ideal tool for museums, galleries and non-profits – and provides the means to create beautiful, easily maintainable sites.
This course / workshop is a perfect starting point for novices who are looking to set up a site using WordPress or have been given the responsibility of editing an existing site and want to understand how to make it work better.
- might be a content person, a marketing person, a curator – or maybe just starting out doing some work on the web
- want to understand how to create a simple, functional, easy-to-edit site for your institution
- don’t need to be technical / a geek! On this course we won’t get into any coding – everything we do will be within the WordPress dashboard, which is all point and click.
Hours 1 & 2: introduction
- Getting started
- Understanding the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- Hosting and installation
- Introduction to the WordPress Dashboard
Hours 3 & 4: writing content
- Getting WordPress ready: posts, pages, comments
- Managing comments: moderation
- Using the Media Library: photos, documents, video
Hours 5 & 6: making your site look and work differently
Hours 7 & 8: managing your site
- Backing your site up
- Keeping things up to date